Monday 22 October 2007

Change the dance

Since Ann started back to work part-time, life has also begun to return to normal - whatever normal is; or was. Anyway, Ann said to me the other night that she felt like a new woman and I said that I felt like one too! Oh boy, did that start a row. I kept trying to tell her that I was joking but she just wouldn't listen.

Anyway, once she'd calmed down a bit, she came up with one of her Exocet questions.
"P e t e:" (I always know when a missile's on the way when she drags out my first name)
"P e t e; would you want to marry me again if the other night really had been our first date and I'd told you honestly about how I'd felt for the last few years?"
"I don't really know Pumpkin; how about you?" I've become pretty clever with my EAT responses (Exocet Avoidance Techniques).
"W e l l:"
Action Stations; full EAT alert - this is not a drill!
"W e l l; life has, no, sorry, life had become a little predictable don't you think?"
"Yes, well OK, I guess it had."
"So, what are we going to do about it?"
Emergency: Emergency. We have an EATing disorder; stand by to abandon ship.
"What's so bad about predictability all of a sudden; I thought you were longing for a bit of predictability after years of not being able to plan anything because of your bits."
"Well yes Pete, you're right and that's the point - with me only doing part-time now, we've got the opportunity to get some fun into our lives again, to be who we wanna be without all the restrictions we used to have. Come on Pete; don't say you don't want that too."
"Well Pumpkin, remember we've not got as much money coming in now that you've gone part-time."
Damage limitation procedures fully engaged: stand by to repel boarders.
"Having fun doesn't necessarily have to cost more though does it - surely it's more an attitude of mind. And we can change our minds, can't we?"
We've been hit below the waterline; abandon ship.
"Yeh, sure. What do you suggest?"
"W e l l ..... I've been thinking a lot about this recently and I've jotted a few things down; shall I get them?"
It' a carefully sprung trap and I've walked right into it. Don't panic Mr. Mannering!
"Yeh, sure. But don't forget there's something on telly that I wanna watch in ten minutes so you'll have to be quick."
"Are you telling me that the future of our relationship comes second to some crappy bloody repeat?"
She's stopped mid-stride and is glaring at me; daring me to answer in the affirmative. A brave man knows when to back down. The brave man spoke.
"No, of course not. I just don't want this to develop into another blazing argument."
"It takes two to tango Pete. Do we both have to sign a non-aggression treaty before we can discuss anything to do with our relationship?"
"What the hell - you go and get your jottings Pumpkin and I'll get us a cup of something and a piece of cake."

Yes; I know what you're thinking if you've read the book. Since Ann's taken over the kitchen, stuff is never in the same place as when I last used it. That's why I said a cup of something!

I'll tell you what she came up with tomorrow guys.

No comments: