Monday 22 October 2007

Am I really strange?

It's been a while since I last put anything on here and it's quite strange really. I've missed it.
After reading my last blog before the weekend, I decided to make a mental note of any thoughts that anyone else might think of as strange. And then forgot all about it.

Ann was away on an Introduction to Counselling course and Bill and Jean came over for the day from Hampshire. Anyway, we went over to Weymouth seafront for a long walk and all down the promanade, there are posters advertising Monkey World, the Aquarium and things like that. I was fascinated. They had a picture of just an apes head - it was if I could tell exactly what his (or her) thoughts were and within seconds I was totally absorbed. As a wave of sadness came over me, I looked at another segment of the same poster with a youngster and a monkey looking straight at the camera. Bill had gone walking on ahead, so I asked Jean what she thought these two were saying to each other and made-up the conversation that I thought they were having. Although she was a bit reluctant at first, we were soon in fits of laughter and the strangest thing. We soon had a small crowd, and the kids especially were making their own suggestions and everyone was hooting with laughter.

Next to the Monkey World poster was one for the Aquarium. There were various tropical fish and a diver in the foreground. Slightly further back in the picture, unseen by man and fish presumably, was a shark with his mouth slightly open and the camera had obviously caught him mid-sentence. It all seemed so natural that I asked the crowd to complete the two conversations, the one between man and fish; the other voicing the sharks thoughts on the matter. We had parents trying to drag their children away with some kids still contributing from twenty yards away, others shouting to make themselves heard, Jean and I curled up with laughter, and a friendly policeman coming over to see what all the fuss was about while evidently trying not to laugh himself.

Sometimes I think I've never really grown up. I've always found men quite difficult to relate to, prefering women because they seem to have so much more sparkle. But the most wonderful people on the planet are kids because they're so unaffected and natural. And they laugh. Lots. And it's the most wonderful sound in the world.

No comments: